How a Fiancé(e) Visa Differs From a Marriage Visa

When it comes to bringing your foreign partner to the United States, it’s important to understand the differences between a fiancé(e) visa and a marriage visa. Here are the key distinctions between the two:

Fiancé(e) Visa (K-1 Visa):

  1. Intended for individuals who are engaged to a U.S. citizen.
  2. Allows the foreign fiancé(e) to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married within 90 days.
  3. Requires the U.S. citizen to file a petition on behalf of their foreign fiancé(e) with the USCIS.
  4. After the marriage takes place, the foreign spouse can apply for adjustment of status to obtain lawful permanent resident status.

Marriage Visa:

  1. Designed for individuals who are already married to a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder).
  2. Allows the foreign spouse to enter the United States as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen or in some cases, wait to enter as a preference category spouse of an LPR
  3. Requires the U.S. citizen or LPR  spouse to file a family petition on behalf of their foreign spouse with USCIS.
  4. Upon entering the United States with an immigrant visa, the foreign spouse will become a lawful permanent resident immediately.

Understanding these differences is crucial as they can significantly impact your immigration journey with your partner. Consulting with an experienced immigration attorney, like the team at Hughes Law Group, can provide you with personalized guidance and support to choose the best visa option for your specific circumstances.

Grab my FREE guide and instantly get answers to the TOP 10 most common questions I hear from couples in your shoes.

Get started by scheduling your free strategy call.

Hughes Law Group PC

111 S. Division Street
Carson City, NV 89703